Saturday, June 17, 2017

Mushroom Potstickers with Mint Sauce


I am constantly reminded that I am Indian when I cook. It's tough for us to show restraint- we have too many masalas. When a traditional gravy is made, I usually go for the entire line up of spice powders on the shelf. Pick, open, shovel, dump, repeat. You don't even have to think about it. That's why I like cooking non-Indian dishes. It's challenging. Like some food pervert, I have to stop my hands from grabbing those bottles.

Potstickers. What can I say. They're always a hit. But this is the first time I made a simple western herb sauce and I tell you- you could pour that thing on stale bread and I'd wolf it down. Beautiful. I'll be making this again.



Mint Sauce

6 sprigs of mint (1 tbsp blitzed mint leaves)
1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.




Mushroom filling

1 cup of button mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying.
1 large onion, finely chopped

Slice the mushrooms and place them on a frying pan with a dash of oil. Season, fry both sides on high flame till golden brown and set aside. (Traditionally chopping up mushrooms and cooking them all together results in a soggy mess- which isn't bad, but I prefer this drier version albeit its complex cooking process) In the same pan, add a dash of oil, add the onions, season and fry lightly. Mix it in with the mushrooms.


Potsticker dough

1 cup plain white flour
1/4 cup of boiling water
1 pinch salt

Mix all the ingredients together and knead thoroughly for 10 minutes. The dough would be stiff and firm. Cover with a wet cloth in a bowl and set aside for 2 to 4 hours.

Assembly





Roll out the dough into a log, portion it into 7 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rough circle. Use a cookie cutter or small lid to make a perfect circle. Gently use the rolling pin to make the edges thinner than the middle. Place filling in the center, run a wet finger along the edge and seal the edge. Pleat it gently.




In a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and place the potstickers in it. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes till the bottom is nicely golden brown. Then add about 3 tbsp of water, cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Serve potstickers with mint sauce.








No comments:

Post a Comment