Monday, January 2, 2017

Whole Wheat Pasta with Almond Basil Pesto


Long ago, I made pasta. Today, I made it again. Some people never learn.

Moving on to the less painful part of this plate- pesto! I love pesto. I could write a poem about it. Like 'Pesto, it's besto, makes me zesto!' I could go on. But I'll just say- this is a good combo. I halved the amount of basil leaves other recipes call for because I don't like being overwhelmed with that particular flavor.

Since I must, I'll touch on the pasta a bit. It's plain wheat flour with salt and water. I didn't fancy putting eggs in there, so its your basic chapathi dough. Lessons learnt:

1) Don't overcook the pasta. Hover over the boiling water like an overprotective mother.
2)  Don't be a hero. Don't use a bottle cap and make circles with the pasta dough because it'll 'look cute'. It's not worth it. Just saying. Random suggestion.
3) Don't be an idiot. Just buy the god-damned pasta.

Almond Basil Pesto

1 cup almonds, dry roasted
1 cup of basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 dried red chilly
1/2 tsp salt

Blitz the almonds first- just one or two pulses. Then add the other ingredients and pulse a few times to get a coarse paste. This is drier than usual, so add olive oil or water to make it smoother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment