Sunday, January 1, 2017

Veg Rolls with Sesame Dipping Sauce



With the new year, I've decided to cling less to sadness and be more open to joy. Though my father's passing will long remain in a corner of my heart, screaming fiercely, I hope to learn to live with it and still find happiness. It's kinda living next to railway tracks, I imagine- how people there live and sleep as if all the rattling and noise doesn't matter. One can get used to almost anything.

So instead of the usual, 'Bah! New Year is meaningless, it's just an arbitrary point on a man-made clock', I did things differently today. I made an effort.

In Bangkok, I frequented a salad bar in a market that had the most amazing sesame dressing. The nutty flavor made me a life-long fan. With these rice paper rolls, I decided to make a dipping sauce that could compare. I'm not a fan of soy sauce, vinegar, etc., mainly because I use them so rarely, they expire in the fridge, bottles almost still full.

This has got be to be the simplest sesame sauce, but it packs flavor, and doesn't need fancy (to me) ingredients!

Dry roasted sesame seeds - 4 tbsp
Dry red chilli - 1
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water

Process: Blitz the dry roasted sesame seeds- because of their natural oils, you'll get a powder-paste consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend. That's it! 

I think I'll try it with a dash of honey as well next time around. As for the rice paper rolls, this filling was a lightly sauteed mixture of thinly sliced carrots, onions and bell peppers with fresh lettuce from our terrace garden. For my mom, I made a version with slivers of fried potatoes. I love foods like this that are open to endless variety and experimentation.

I hope the new year brings such discovery to us all, outside the kitchen and beyond! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment