Saturday, December 5, 2009

Gulab Jamun


There's a new life in this world now, making it a richer happier place. True, she just laughs and poops at this point but eventually, she'll get around to the important stuff. She likes sweet talk, has two pistons instead of legs, blows spit bubbles to pass the time, fights sleep till her eyes roll around and speaks in a language no one understands. This kid is super cute. She is also my niece.

I'm doing something for her that I once read in a book- it really touched me... I'm writing letters to her, that I'll keep safe for her until she turns 21. On her 21st birthday, I'll hand over to her a lifetime of letters; my thoughts and feelings about her, all the little things about her that we usually forget with the passage of time, my take on life and so on...just like a time capsule :) But that's a long way away. Now, I look forward to the beautiful years ahead, anticipating an adorable little girl who will be well loved and truly cherished.

Meet Sahana, my beautiful beautiful niece!


The Gulab Jamuns came out wonderfully, nicely round and puffed just this little one's cheeks!

Ingredients

1 cup Skimmed Milk powder
1 tsp all purpose flour
Fresh Cream
1/2 tsp Baking powder

Ghee, to deep fry
2 Cardamom pods
3 cups Sugar
2 cups water

Place the skimmed milk powder in a bowl and add the flour and baking powder to it. Mix it up a bit. Now add cream in batches and use your hands to mix it in, till you get a slightly sticky dough. Cover and place aside.

Make the sugar syrup by boiling the water with sugar in it. Add 1 or 2 split cardamom pods into it. When it boils, remove from the flame and keep aside covered. In a thick skillet, heat enough ghee on low for deep frying. Take the dough and roll it gently but firmly into very small balls. Place the balls in the ghee on the lowest flame possible and allow them to cook, stirring often, until they become golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place them immediately in the sugar syrup water. Repeat till all the dough is used up. Wait at least 15 minutes for the Gulab Jamuns to soak up the sugar. Serve hot!

5 comments:

  1. She is just too precious! Lovely little sweets too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear,

    I know, you're a Great cook and I adore your blog.

    Just for a change...I am hosting a funny Event' in my site all about Kitchen Mishaps!

    Please check it out:

    http://www.kitchentantra.com/2009/12/kitchen-mishaps-event-announcement.html

    Would you like to participate?

    I will greatly appreciate your contribution.

    Thanks
    Malar Gandhi
    www.kitchentantra.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mia! How have you been? I suddenly thought of you :) Your baby niece is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malar: Thanks, I'll try to enter! Sounds fun :))

    The Little Teochew: Thanks for remembering, I've really been out of the scene for a while now. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete