Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dried Fruit and Nut Cheese Rolls with Pomegranate Sauce


There are moments in our lives when we touch the heights of happiness. We usually attribute it to events- marriage, births....or periods of time like the years of University or school. For me, they are the nights of the year 2000. The first year of my wasted engineering degree. I was sharing an apartment with two of my cousins. Prabu was a medical intern who'd come home in the middle of the night, most nights. He'd softly call me awake and say 'Let's go'. He was, still is, an expert biker, with great skill and control. We'd take off, on empty roads, through the city, the nearby villages, under dark skies full of stars, fast, with the wind whipping around us, on some lanes with the headlights off, under total darkness....and there is nothing but quiet happiness, the sense of freedom, of infinite space, breathing freely, feeling powerful and content....and happy.

Most of the time, we'd return only at dawn, refreshed, eager to face the day. It wasn't the best time for me then with my confusion about what I wanted to do and what I was doing. And though it could sound a bit odd when stated simply, I'd say it anyway- I survived because of those long nights. They were the best times of my life :)


Dried Fruit and Nut Cheese Rolls with Pomegranate Sauce

1 cup soft cheese
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
10 to 15 sweet green grapes, halved
1 ring pineapple, cut into small cubes
1 cup chopped, assorted dried fruits and nuts-
walnuts
pistachio
semi-dried apricot
honey dried gooseberry
dried figs
raisins
2 tortillas (I made square shaped ones, you could cut round tortillas)

3/4 fresh pomegranate juice
1/4 cup sweet lime juice
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour

Place the cheese in the blender along with the powdered sugar and lemon juice and pulse a few times to get a spreadable paste. Remove to a bowl and add assorted dried fruits and nuts. Mix well and fold in the grapes and pineapple. Spread the mixture onto a tortilla. Roll tightly, cover it with foil or muslin and place in the refrigerator for an hour at least. With a sharp knife cut it into rolls.

Combine the sauce ingredients in a small skillet and bring it to boil. Simmer and allow it took cook till it thickens. Allow it too cool and spread onto the rolls before serving.

4 comments:

  1. When I saw the picture, I thought you made nougat! The combination of the cream cheese, nuts and dried fruits sounds amazing.

    Jackie at PhamFatale.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "bejeweled" cross section- very cute! You know, you could still live out even better years of your life- and more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like dried fruit and nut. Dried fruits are a great way to get most of the healthful benefits of fresh fruits in a form that is preserved.

    Brazil nuts
    Dried fruit and nuts
    Bulk dried fruit

    ReplyDelete