Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Passion Fruit Millet Polenta


I've been a bit distracted of late- a nasty bout of sinus and a riveting sci-fi book series kept me from cooking, browsing, commenting.... :(

I have a sweet tooth. Ok, maybe more than one. It's a weird craving- after every meal, even if I've stuffed myself I need a morsel of sweetness to 'seal the deal' (sometimes I talk like a gangster).

I'm kinda tired of making cakes and tarts...and I'm actually kinda tired of seeing the same stuff over and over again online. I'm looking for options now. Actually, I do have a few low-fat sweet options that I can fall back on, some are ridiculously simple- but more on that in a different post. This one here is a nice little bite that I whipped up a while ago- healthy stuff- millet, fruit pulp and just a bit of sugar.

Passion Fruit Millet Polenta

1 cup cooked foxtail millet
4 tsp sugar
½ cup passion fruit
1/3 cup mango pulp

To cook the millet, place it in a vessel with water in the ratio 1 : 4 (millet : water). With medium heat, it cooks pretty fast, between 5 to 10 minutes.

Place the cooked millet in a non stick pan with the other ingredients and stir on low to remove moisture- maybe 3 or 4 minutes. Spoon the mixture into muffin cups, smooth the tops and place circles of wax paper on the top of each. Refrigerate overnight. Turn it over onto a serving plate and gently tap to release the polenta. You could also slightly brown both sides in a frying pan with a little butter before serving.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! And it's pretty, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-5, sista! I have a sweet tooth too! Hope you are feeling better after all that sinus. Great dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia, can I make this with cornmeal? Also how is it to be used - as a savoury or sweet dish? How is it traditionally eaten?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to surprise me with your unique and exotic flavour combos! This looks fantastic!!! I hope you feel better from your sinus pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girlichef: Thanks, Heather :)

    The Little Teochew: haha, fellow gangsta, eh? Thanks, Ah Nya :)

    Cynthia: This is not a a traditional dish, Cynthia, I just whipped it up to make a low fat dessert. The polenta is usually made with cornmeal, right? So that sounds right.

    Marta: Thank you, Marta :)

    ReplyDelete