Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rainbow Sponge Cake with Passion Fruit Icing


I don't care, I don't care if every Tom, Dick and Harry (or their female counterparts) in the foodie blogosphere is making a rainbow cake. I have to make one too. So there.

Ahem. I took a trip to Bangalore last week and visited my brother and sister-in-law. The trip was real fun- the best part being the pastry supplies that I hoarded. The other best part was the electric mixer that the generous duo got for me. I was going to buy one, but it turned up as my gift! :)

I used to beat batter and make dough by hand.....let me tell you, people, if I ever cross over to the dark side and practice evil, that would be my trademark torture device- a spoon or whisk, a bowl of eggs and sugar. With my midnight cape flying, the dungeon walls glowing as the light from the bonfires play across it, I'd command "Beat it! Ah hah ha ha ha hah." And the chains would rattle as the poor suffering souls beat and beat and beat...

But thankfully, I'm a good person, angelic actually...what?... anyways, the point is- I have my brand new mixer and I commemorated it with this multicolor sponge cake.

My passion fruit icing didn't quite make it onto the cake because of a teensy mistake, heh heh, so I patched it up and converted it to ice cream, but I must say- passion fruit icing is the best flavor ever! Next time, I'll make it right and put it in a moist layered cake.

This cake is for my brother and sis-in-law. Don't worry, you two, you'll actually get to eat it soon enough ;)















Rainbow Sponge Cake with Passion Fruit Icing


4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 cup flour, sifted
1 cup superfine sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 liquid food colors (or more)

In a bowl, beat the egg white till firm peaks form. Add the vanilla essence and baking powder and beat till stiff. Add the yolks slowly and continue beating. Spoon in the sugar as you beat. Gently fold in the flour.

Divide the cake batter evenly into five (or more) bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring to each and mix gently. Grease and flour the cake tin and add the first colored batter in the center. As it slowly spreads, add the second one in the center of the first. Continue this slowly with the remaining colors as well. Place in a preheated oven for 20 mins at 175 C.

Passion Fruit Icing-

2 ripe passion fruits
1/2 of one lemon
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp butter, at room temerature

Place the pulp of the passion fruit in a sieve. Using a spoon, press down on the pulp and collect the juice in a bowl underneath. Juice the lemon as well. To this, add the icing sugar and butter and beat till well mixed. Chill in the freezer for a few minutes before spreading onto cake.

Note: I bet this frosting is better with cream cheese, so I'd recommend reworking the recipe with it added in.

32 comments:

  1. Even unbaked, it's quite a treat to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, looking at it made me feel like a little kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, it's so pretty!!! I don't care if everyone is making them either..I've totally been dying to do one! This is so cute!!

    -Amy
    www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, a kindred spirit. Thank you, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow you really outdid yourself. The marbling is perfect!

    Jackie at PhamFatale.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you and your very pretty rainbow cake via TasteSpotting... Looking at it just made me 10x happier instantly! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot bake ,my 3 daughters say hurriedly when I offer no thank you,but mother you are so good at doing other things.But I dream,and I am dreaming on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. bloggy piggy: I'm glad you stopped by and left such a beautiful comment :)

    Alette: If I can bake, you can too! I've seen your blogs- you're good at whatever you put your mind to :) Happy Dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww that is brilliant! I can imagine kids and adults alike would love this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this cake! looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so cute! Loved the colours that you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ria (Our names rhyme) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Tia (Another rhyming name!!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, I can't believe a cake could look this good. Love the colours and I think it'll bring out the kids in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you made it because it looks OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Wow. I want to make it too! Superb effort, Mia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Ah Nya :) I'd love to see your colorful cake- the more, the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! That frosting sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thx for the sweet note on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Liesl: Oh yes, passion fruit flavor is my new love and I suspect, its the beginning of a lifelong relationship. Thanks! :)

    Tia: Your welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. the passionfruit icing is the exciting part to me

    ReplyDelete
  21. Passion fruit icing?!?! What a clever idea Mia!!! I can picture it on a rich, dark, decadent chocolate cake... yummy!!!
    This cake looks gorgeous and festive, thanks for making it and sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Justin and Marta: Yes, the passion fruit icing is the best part. My mind has been going over recipes with this amazing flavor ever since! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you! stunning cake, making this for my sons school!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing cake, Going to make for my Mums Birthday this weekend! Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete