Monday, July 27, 2009

Wheat Gluten Stir-Fry


Yesterday, I opened my inbox and had a pleasant surprise-- an email from myself! You see, last year about this time, I came across a cool site; FutureMe, which allows you to send yourself an email to be received at any point in the future. I thought it wouldn't work, that I'd remember what I wrote or the date or something but I didn't- after more than a year, I remembered nothing at all. And in the mail, I told myself to trust my instincts, because "it is difficult for you to recognize what you want because you want everything so much". And that actually helped me now about something that was bothering me a bit :)

It feels good- there's something special about listening to yourself from the past :D Try it. And don't just send yourself a corny joke, ok?!

Wheat Gluten was one of the first things I learnt to make when I started cooking and Delicious Asian Food is the beautiful blog that taught me. I use wheat flour whereas she uses all purpose flour, but the method is the same. This stir-fry is simple and very flavorful.
















Wheat Gluten Stir-Fry


Wheat gluten balls- 15
1 inch ginger
1 large carrot
One half of a Bell pepper of each color
1 large red onion
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tbsp chilli vinegar
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
10 to 15 mint leaves
1 cm piece of veg stock cube
salt and pepper to taste
Cooking oil

Press and chop the bit of ginger into small pieces. Slice the onion, bell peppers and carrot into large slices.

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the ginger, stir and add the onions. Cook till the onions become translucent. Add the chopped bell peppers and carrot and stir for 2 minutes. Add the gluten balls. Pour in the tomato puree, chilli vinegar, soy sauce, veg stock cube and mint leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Stir on medium flame till the veggies are just cooked through.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen anything like those wheat gluten balls before, they sound so interesting! I'd love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indigo: It's an easy yet interesting process, making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, that's kind of bizarrely funny. Maybe you should write yourself another one:
    Dear Mia,

    Go you!

    Love,
    Mia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful veggie dish. I also like to subtitute with seitan or tofu more added proteins. Check at http://www.phamfatale.com/id_354/title_Vegetarian-Sweet-and-Sour-Pork/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lulu, your dish is beautiful as well, I love the addition of the chilli garlic sauce :)

    ReplyDelete