Saturday, July 4, 2009

Tomato Egg-drop soup with Loomi


I was born and brought up in Kuwait and except for regular visits to India to keep in touch with my roots, Kuwait was always home to me. It's been a decade since I left and I don't know if I've really let go. I do tend to put the happiest times of my life up on a pedestal......

It's when I sometimes yearn to live in the past or for better things that one of my favorite quotes comes to mind- "No one lives on the top of the mountain. It’s fine to go there occasionally: for inspiration, for new perspectives. But you have to come down. Life is lived in the valleys. That’s where the farms and gardens and orchards are, and where the plowing and the work is done. That’s where you apply the visions you may have glimpsed from the peaks."

:) I try, I try. Anyways, the food in Kuwait makes up about half of my memories and I greatly cherish them, as a symbol of the wonderful standard of living that I was blessed with as I grew up. One of the most unique ingredients that I came across in Kuwait is the Loomi or Limon Aswaad. This is a concentrated intense packet of earthy tangy flavor, no doubts about it.

If you are a non-vegetarian and if you get your hands on some loomi, ignore this post and recipe, get up and go make 'Chicken Kapsa' (an amazing flavored rice, many recipes online). I was an enthusiastic non-vegetarian till I was about 12 and I'm telling you, go now... Shoo...... I don't love you anymore, you hear?...go...GO....go.......

For the rest of us vegetarians, believe me, this soup is as good as it gets! Intense.


Tomato Egg-drop soup with Loomi

1 cup, assorted vegetables like onions, carrots, beans, peas, potatoes, cabbage (optional)
2 cups vegetable broth, or water
1 cup tomato paste
green chillies, salt and red chilli powder, to season
1 loomi
1 egg

The soup, like any other, is not rocket science. Just throw it all together and let it boil down. But, the loomi must be pierced multiple times with a knife or fork to get the flavor out. Beat the egg in a bowl and pour it in a few seconds before removing the soup off the stove.

2 comments:

  1. Minus the egg, I'd love to have a bowl of this- Sounds so simple and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it is quite simple :)

    ReplyDelete