Thursday, July 2, 2009

Soy Chunk Stir-fry with Mango Pulp


The mango season is slowly coming to an end here in India and yet again, I find myself with that nagging disquieting feeling- I did not take full advantage of it, did I? Whenever some fruit season comes along, I'm usually pretty satisfied at the end. That warm glow that comes with the conviction- Yup, I did my share, I contributed to the consumption of luscious fruit X. But it's not like that with mangoes. Maybe its because of the sheer bulk, the myriad varieties, the utter deliciousness of the fruit? I don't know, but I solemnly promise (again), I'll make a mark next year (what ambition eh?)

So today's yummy lip smacking dish is a soy chunk stir fry with plenty of green pepper, onions and mango pulp....mmmmm. Quite simple, easy to put together.


Soy Chunk Stir-fry with Mango Pulp

1 handful Soy chunks
1 large green pepper/capsicum
1 large red onion
4 green chillies
1/2 cup fresh mango pulp
1/4 cup tomato puree
salt to taste
spring onions, curry leaves for garnish

Drop the soy chunks into a pan of boiling water and cook for a few minutes till its soft to the core. Remove, wash with tap water and drain. In a small bowl, place the mango pulp, tomato puree and slit green chillies and mix well. Add a 1/4 tsp of salt. Squeeze out the water from the soy chunks and add it to the bowl. Mix well and allow to marinate for an hour or so.

Slice the green pepper and onion into long thin strips. Heat some oil and add the onions and peppers. Add a pinch of salt and stir fry for a few minutes till the onions become translucent. Add the marinated soy chunks along with the sauces. Season with salt, mix well and simmer and cook until almost dry. Raise the heat and stir constantly for a few minutes. Sprinkle chopped curry leaves and spring onions just before removing off the stove.

6 comments:

  1. I feel that way too about how I didn't take advantage of our mangoes :( Well, this looks like a delicious last hurrah, so don't fret :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I'll try to stop clucking like a mother hen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish we even had a mango season where I live! This looks delicious and versatile...maybe you could throw in chicken cubes if so desired?

    Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha, how funny! Taste-STOP-ping? A place for the rejects eh? I have plenty of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have about 10 mangoes in the fridge right now, waiting to be used in a lovely way! I think a savoury application would be ideal! this stir-fry looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Marta, I recently read that mangoes are great with protiens because they have enzymes that soften meat, so its actually a fantastic ingredient to use in non-vegetarian cooking :)

    ReplyDelete