Thursday, July 23, 2009

Shakshuka, fast and furious


One of the many admirable things about us humans is the way we combine our imagination with that cheeky sense of fun. Imagine a non vegetarian dish that is so delicious, it breaks through the stoic self-control of austere vegetarian monks- could it possibly be called anything but "Buddha Jumps over the Wall"?! Of course not!

:D Gotta love us.

Did a little research after I came across that one. Priest Stranglers, Toad in the hole, Pea Wiggles,.....lots of such names, some of it quite suggestive as well ;) Some sound funny only because they're from a different language. The first time I heard of Shakshuka, I thought it sounded like a martial arts move. Picture it- you leap through the air, legs splayed, right arm raised in a sharp upper cut and scream "Shakshukaaaaaaaaa"! Right? No? Come on, it totally fits.

Anyways, this isn't authentic coz I added too many extra things in it, left out some and it's a quick recipe. But hey, my Shakshuka can beat your Shakshuka any day. Shakshukaaaaaaaaaaaa....


Shakshuka

1 small red onion, chopped
2 tbsp chopped bell pepper
4 to 5 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup veg broth
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup corn
2 eggs
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
coriander/cilantro leaves
Vegetable oil

Actually, it'd be better if you boil the tomatoes and then peel and chop them. But I forgot....heck, ok, I was too lazy.

In a pan, heat a tbsp of vegetable oil. Add the chopped onions and bell pepper and saute for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and veg broth. Add the peas and corn as well. Season with salt and chilli powder. Simmer and allow to cook till the corn and peas are cooked and there's some liquid left. Break the eggs into the base. Break the yolks with a spoon, cover and simmer. If you like your eggs runny, remove it well under a minute. I don't, so i let it cook for 2 minutes till it firmed up. Add chopped cilantro and serve with bread.

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Well, I gotta agree with the name, no offense to the country that originated it :) It does look incredible, though. Love the rich redness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank ya Mark! :) But for all that it looks great, I'm not sure this recipe is a keeper for me. I like having eggs either fried, hard boiled or in soup. Opposite ends of the spectrum. This kind of wet base isnt my preference; I guess the beauty of poached eggs is lost on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used to make this for us when we were younger. It was a real treat. I remember the name was funny for us back then too. But its totally deslish. I love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful! I wish my dad cooked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to try cooking this dish. The flavours appeal to me, esp the runny eggs! Oh yum! You made everything look so mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad is a wonderful cook & Iam lucky .. this looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Deesha, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks awesome!!! I might have to make it for breakfast very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would make a really tasty breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure would, Kevin. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looked through your blog you have very nice photos and interesting recipes sure some would use. Some time ago I made a very Shakshuk I tasted it I have to add the corn which I love ....

    ReplyDelete