Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sapodilla Lemon Juice


If I could travel to any point in time, I would not go to the future. I would go back, to the ancient past. To the age when humans made the truest discoveries- of their own sentience, their place in life, on earth. When everything was NEW, and everything had to be discovered.

What was it like, back then? How did they experiment to survive? It boggles the mind, and excites me no end just thinking about it. Especially the fact that humans were so few in number that they could live with the earth.....and isn't it amazing that after all these centuries, after the rise and fall of countless civilizations, we still carry with us some of the knowledge of the early days? Not all, not even most, but some.

How does my uneducated grandma know which leaves heal bones faster? Which bark yields healing smoke. Which flower can cool the body, or coagulate blood....coming to the subject of this post, how does my mom know that the sapodilla fruit is good for the tummy, that it can placate an upset stomach? We talk about folklore and old wives tales and things that have been passed down for generations, but really, it is almost magical to me, this knowledge. It is not a thing of science, but of experience. It is....heavy and deep, the years and minds that it has seen and survived.....and it is to be cherished.

I did not know that sapodilla and lemon would taste so good together, but they do. After my watermelon-muskmelon combo, this is a good home-made juice combination.

Sapodilla* Lemon Juice

1.2 cups loosely packed fresh sapodilla flesh- peeled, deseeded
1 cup water
4 to 6 tsp sugar
1 small lemon or 1/2 big lemon- juice
2 tbsp yoghurt

Blend all the ingredients together. If its too thick, add a bit more water. Serve in glasses rimmed with cinnamon sugar.

*Sapodilla is chikku in North India, and sapota in Tamil. To remove flesh, wash the fruit well, split it in half, take out the seeds and gently scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon.

5 comments:

  1. yes this whole idea of discovering has always amazed me too . and now I learn about sapodilla - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I gotta remember that about sapodilla, but it's my mom who loves the stuff... I don't unfortunately ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doggybloggy: :) If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean M.Auel. It is fiction and a fantastic read- it also goes in depth into the hunter-gatherer way of life and accumulation of ancestral knowledge.

    Mark: It definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new discovery for me! I've never heard of sapodilla before but your post has me intrigued. It will never cease to amaze me how modern science only confirms what our ancestors and elders have known for ages and have passed down to subsequent generations. We should all learn to listen to them; I don't think we can re-create the past because our world has changed so much. But there are lessons there that we should keep in mind and incorporate into the way we live our lives today.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tangled Noodle: I'm glad you share the wonder :)

    ReplyDelete