Friday, August 7, 2009

Rose Flavored Soybean Milk


I've never had soy milk. I have this 'thing' about packaged processed milk. It's my mom's fault, this prejudice. She put it in my head and it refuses to budge. Mothers! (cue to shake head) So, in spite of the amazing nutritional benefits of soy milk, I've never tried it. Which is why I was quite happy to find out how to make it. This version makes ordinary soy milk and the sweetness and flavoring is added to it by preparing a syrup.



Rose Flavored Soybean Milk

500g soy beans
8 cups water
Syrup-
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp rosewater
red food color (optional)

Soak the soybeans in plenty of water overnight. Drain and process in a blender with the water. You might have to do this in batches. Pour it into a cotton cloth held over a wide bowl. The milk will collect in the bowl. Discard the contents left in the cloth. Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat on medium flame till it boils. Stir often. Simmer for a few minutes, then remove. You can strain it through a sieve if you wish.

For the syrup, place the water in a saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to boil. Simmer for a few minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and rosewater. Add the food color if you want to. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.

To serve, stir a spoonful or two of the rosewater syrup into a glass of soy milk.

16 comments:

  1. I love how it looks. You should also try Rooh Afza syrup. It's an Indian sweetener, delicious. Check it out at http://www.phamfatale.com/id_88/title_Sharbat-Indian-Milk-Drink-made-with-Rooh-Afza-Syrup-Cardamom-Seeds-Almonds-Cashews-and-Pistachios/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Indian, Jackie, so I do use Rooh Afza too. You're right- its absolutely delicious. I just needed a little for this soy milk, so I made my own rosewater syrup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, your Rose Flavoured Soyabean Milk should meet my pink Almond Meringue. They will be trading tips on accessories and what-not! Lovely drink you made, Mia :) I have a soybean milk maker at home and I add all kinds of flavourings - almond, pandan, etc. Why didn't I think of rose syrup?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love soy milk; one of my friends is lactose intolerant so I happily swap between soybean and ordinary! This sounds beautiful - I love how classy and delicate the rose flavour is - but okay, the idea of pink milk is what really appeals to me. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Nya: Yup, your almond meringues were a delicate shade too. In fact, I wonder why I didn't add any nuts to the milk by way of garnish....a soy milk maker eh? Gotta research that- I've never heard of it!

    Indigo: Thank you, some people would be reminded of Pepto-bismol, but you sound happy about pink milk :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretty soy milk - the pulp is called 'okara' and it is very nutritrional - you can make soy burgers with it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...this sounds really good. I love the delicate flavor of rosewater. And I like soy milk, I may have to give this a try :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doggybloggy: Ah, I wish you'd told me that yesterday! :)

    Girlichef: Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is so cool! My mom has the same prejudice against processed foods (and it's worn off on me as well) so this recipe is right up our ally. I will definitely be trying it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a total kindred spirit, Lizzie. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is new to me. I mean, I've tasted soybean but not rose-flavoured! Definitely didn't come across this in Malaysia.

    Btw, you should also have Name / URL for your commenters :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you PabloPabla. Did a quick search and remembered that you're the author of the beautiful 'Delicious Asian Food'. I'll try to implement a few changes for the better soon! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. we love soymilk and this is a great looking twist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I've never thought to put rose flavoring in my soy milk before, even though I make tea with rosebuds all the time. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete