Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Peanut Butter Squares


Being a relatively new blogger and having a zero competitive drive, I've never participated in any food contest before. But I do like watching other people sweat it out ;)

Anyways, just for fun, I'm gonna enter the Peanut Butter Celebration Contest by The Peanut Butter Boy.

So here's a shocker. I've never had peanut butter before now. Ever. There were all these uber costly foreign brands that I wouldn't touch and only this year, we have two local brands that have come out with it. When I saw it on the shelves, I was quite happy. Tasty stuff :)

This is a peanut butter version of an Indian fudge like dessert that we make at home using almonds. Seriously, its irresistible and should never be made by anyone trying to watch their weight! But it uses only four ingredients and is so easy to put together, I'm going with it. Onwards, good people....

Peanut Butter Squares

1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter, do not substitute with butter!)

In a non stick pan, place the peanut butter and sugar, mix it up well and stir for 5 mins on a low flame. Increase the heat, add the milk and keep stirring for five minutes. Now add the ghee and stir constantly till the ghee separates and the mass doesn't stick to the vessel. This should take 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and transfer it to a small deep plate. You don't have to grease the plate, there's plenty of ghee for that in the squares. Allow it to cool. The ghee will be soaked up. Cut into rough squares.

13 comments:

  1. Oh! Looks good, but why can't I substitute butter? :( (Well, I can clarify my own...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mark, ghee is so different. I tastes different and just a little bit imparts a whole lot of flavor compared to butter. Remember the brown butter in the Finnish cookies? Tastes way different than butter cookies. So I suppose you could make brown butter for these squares, but then ghee is just a little more heating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia!!!! Thanks for this entry!!!!
    I have to say, my heart skipped a beat when I read you had never had peanut butter! I just love the stuff so much that I cannot imagine someone not having it! I think these fudge bars look deliciously moist and sweet. And, you know, having only 4 ingredients makes them perfect for a fuss-free celebration!
    Thanks Mia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marta, its because of your wonderful blog that I found the contest and was encouraged to buy my first jar of peanut butter :) These squares are not fudge though, they're more 'brittle', it think its called :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made some last night. It was oh so good. It had the texture of halwa. We used evaporated milk though. Everything was gone is a few seconds. I agree with you about ghee. It has so much for flavor than regular butter. Thanks for sharing.

    Jackie at PhamFatale.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, glad you liked it. I imagine evaporated milk must taste even better. I'll give that a try too. Thanks, Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM YUM...yes indeed, onwards good people. This is great stuff Mia, & you should be part opf competitions more often. Just 1 tbsp ghee is not so bad on calories, right? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Deeba, its pretty much guilt free. Thanks, you're so full of love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't feel bad over being new to peanut butter; I never had it when I was growing up (in England) and was always a bit suspicious of it... right up until I went to uni last September and my new flatmate introduced me to its wondrous ways, haha. Probably I'd be a lot better off (read: thinner) if she hadn't, but I won't ever turn back!

    I may turn towards these squares though. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously!? Wow...around here, you don't grow up without a good ol' peanut butter and jelly (or honey ir banana or lettuce in my case, since oddly I don't like jelly w/ my pb) sandwich being part of your repertoire!! I'm glad you finally tried it!! These look sinful :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet those are really good. So easy and basic. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete