Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lusikkaleivät- Finnish Teaspoon Cookies


These cookies introduced to me 'brown butter' which, though close, isn't quite ghee. I found the recipe here. I don't think the writer is blogging at present but check out her instructions for brown butter.

You can, of course, use any jam or marmalade, but please, please use blackcurrant jam on at least one! Its heavenly!!






Lusikkaleivät- Finnish Teaspoon Cookies

Makes 20 cookies

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup flour
Jam/Marmalade
Fine sugar, for dusting

Brown the butter
. Cool and it add the sugar and vanilla essence. Mix well. Sift in flour and baking soda. Mix to form the dough, which resembles wet sand. (I added a tbsp of melted butter at this stage coz my dough was too dry to hold shape)
Press the dough into a teaspoon. Use a spoon with a fairly deep indentation. The dough is quite crumbly so, handle gently. Use a knife to shave of the excess and make it flat. Gently press one end for the cookie to slip out of the spoon. Place it flat side down on the baking tray. Continue with the rest of the dough. Bake for 15 mins at 175C.

Apply jam on the flat side of one cookie and press another cookie onto it. Sandwich all the cookies in this fashion and dust with sugar.

Note: Requires patience! The dough is quite crumbly so you'll need to handle it gently when slipping it out of the spoon and placing it on the tray :)

12 comments:

  1. I saw this in an issue of Gourmet-- I heard it's really good. Must try!
    But, we don't get blackcurrant jam here :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, its traditionally made with any jam and its very very good anyway, Mark. Its just that I was so struck with blackcurrant jam on this and I gushed about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a simple and perfect cookie - love your photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so simple and pretty! I love the adorable shape the teaspoon gives it. And brown butter is the love of my life - it just makes everything awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the first thing that struck me too- the beautiful shape! :) And brown butter does impart an awesome taste, much like ghee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious cute little cookies. hahaha will try you idea of black currant jam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Mia...this is a great idea...spoon cookies...nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Navita, the Finns have many great recipes, and this one is so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I love these!!! They're beautiful ... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete