Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Kiss


There's nothing quite like music to move the soul, is there? I listen to so many songs but at any one time, I'll have just one song in my head leading the pack, that I go back to again and again. This week its "This Kiss" by Faith Hill. It makes me grin like an utter fool.....it's one of those songs that gives a hopeless romantic hope. (nice play of words, eh ;)

I don't usually cook something inspired by a song but I spent my free time a few days ago wondering what delicacy would match the feeling that wells up when I listen to this song. But my mind is too polluted with easy commonplace food-emotion equations-> romance= strawberries, passion= chocolate and so forth...

Moving past all that, let's see. For me. It must have lemon, for that burst of pleasure. It must have pineapple, for that beautiful tingly sweetness. It must have a crust, for the play of textures. An element of cold, to shock the senses. A bit of chocolate, for dark smoothness. A hint of herb, for that elusive something. A hint of spice as well, for that subtle undercurrent. A presence of flowers, for the admiring eye. A simple coming together of these elements, to be natural.

Is this it? A mouthful of kiss? Hmmm, who can say for sure. Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe, down the line, I'll find something that matches the idea better for me......heck, maybe I just need more of the right kind of inspiration :p ;D

The Kiss

Cardamom Crust
Pineapple Filling
Lemon Ice Cream
Garnish- Chocolate Kiss, Sugar coated flowers, mint leaves, toasted coconut

Cardamom Crust
(for 1 deep shell, this is a very soft dough and crust, handle with care)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered biscuits
1 tbsp sugar
30 g butter
1 pinch cardamom powder
2 tbsp cold water

Combine all the ingredients and crumble with your fingers till it resembles coarse meal. Gather into a dough ball, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Roll out the dough so that its large enough to line the shell. Press down gently, and bake at 180º C for 10 minutes.

Pineapple filling

3/4 cup cubed fresh pineapple
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp flour

Mix all three together and spoon into the cardamom crust. Bake for 15 to 20 mins at 160º C.

Lemon Ice Cream (by hand, very intense- reduce lemon juice for a more subtle taste)

3/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1.25 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1.5 cups cream
2 eggs
4 egg yolks

Add the zest to the sugar and grind to a powder. Place this in a bowl and add the lemon juice, eggs and egg yolks. Whisk well. Pour this into a saucepan and heat through on low heat till it begins to thicken. In a bowl, mix the milk and cream. Add the contents of the saucepan to the bowl. Whisk to incorporate completely and return the mixture to the saucepan. Heat on low for a few minutes but do not allow it to boil. Remove and strain the mixture through a sieve into a flat bottomed vessel and allow to cool to room temperature. Place it the refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, place the vessel in the freezer. Every half hour, for four hours, remove and whisk vigorously. Allow to harden for a couple of more hours.

Scoop out and top over pineapple.

Sugar Coated Flowers

Butterfly pea and Rose petals (use only edible flowers!)
Cold water
Egg white
Superfine Sugar

Wash the petals gently so that they are clean and dip them briefly in cold water. Remove to paper towels and allow to dry completely. Using a paint brush, coat the petals with the egg white thoroughly and sprinkle the sugar onto them. Place on a paper dusted with sugar and allow to dry for 2 to 4 hours.

Toasted Coconut


In a dry pan, stir some fresh grated or finely chopped coconut for a few minutes till it just starts turning color.

Enjoy!

This Kiss
Faith Hill

I don't want another heartbreak
I don't need another turn to cry
I don't want to learn the hard way
Baby, hello, oh no, goodbye
But you got me like a rocket
Shooting straight across the sky

It's the way you love me
It's a feeling like this
It's centrifugal motion
It's perpetual bliss

It's that pivotal moment
It's ah, impossible
This kiss, this kiss, Unstoppable
This kiss, this kiss

Cinderella said to Snow White
How does love get so off course
All I wanted was a white knight
With a good heart, soft touch, fast horse

Ride me off into the sunset
Baby, I'm forever yours

It's the way you love me
It's a feeling like this
It's centrifugal motion
It's perpetual bliss

It's that pivotal moment
It's ah, unthinkable
This kiss, this kiss, Unsinkable
This kiss, this kiss

You can kiss me in the moonlight
On the rooftop under the sky
You can kiss me with the windows open
While the rain comes pouring inside
Kiss me in sweet slow motion
Let's let every thing slide
You got me floating, you got me flying

It's the way you love me
It's a feeling like this
It's centrifugal motion
It's perpetual bliss

It's that pivotal moment
It's ah, subliminal
This kiss, this kiss, It's Criminal
This kiss, this kiss
Its the way you love me baby Its the way you love me darlin, yeah

10 comments:

  1. A piece of ART! Did you tie it with a rose ribbon? That would match the song.....

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, right, a ribbon. Didn't think of that :)
    Thanks, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, there's just not enough pineapple desserts in blog land these days! This looks so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat creation! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, beautiful Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your inspiration for this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so adorable!They look like a fantasy,and I just brought back some fresh cardamom pods so perhaps I will make these and fill them with my homemade ice cream ( Which, yes, I ate half of while I was makng it!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Martina. Yes, any ice cream that has managed to make it should speedily be dispatched to this dessert ;)

    ReplyDelete