Friday, June 12, 2009

Vintage Cupcakes


I call these so because they're a vintage recipe that I used to help celebrate a vintage relationship.

I've been intrigued with Omnomicon's Ice Cream Cake ever since I saw it. Adding ice cream to cake batter is not something that I would have thought of, but its all there in her century old recipe book. More on that later.



Today is my cousin Arun's birthday. He's the son of my tough cookie Aunt S and he's almost her opposite- a soft spoken fellow who can only be perfectly described as 'nice'. He, his sister and I grew up together and we had loads of fun. Jumping into water tanks, stealing stuff from the kitchen, spying, playing, pulling grandpa's hair...we did it all. We grew apart over the years and are as different as can be now but we do love visiting each other, talking about stuff, old and new. Today is his Birthday.

So, I used Omnomicon's idea and made lemon cupcakes with vanilla icecream in the batter. Honestly, I didn't really notice anything that different- it came out much as my lemon cupcakes usually do. Maybe I need to add more? Or maybe I'll try it with chocolate cake next time.

This was my very first attempt at frosting and I was appalled- my hands shake like a drunk chain smoker's! It's a wonder I managed to do some semblance of a pattern on them. Sheesh. Well, Arun will forgive me, I know. He's the first person who ate my very first cake- a slab that if I ever created now, I would quietly bury in the backyard in the middle of the night. He even said it was good and ate lots of it- that's how nice he is :)

Happy Birthday Arun.

Vintage Ice Cream Cake

1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lemon juice approximately (juice of three very small lemons)
2 tbsp water
100 ml vanilla icecream
1 tsp lemon extract

Eggless Icing-
1 tbsp cold milk
1/2 to 3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chilled butter

Thaw the icecream so that it is still creamy but not runny. In a bowl, beat the egg well and add the sugar bit by bit. Beat till the sugar dissolves. Mix in the lemon juice, oil, lemon extract and water. Sift in flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix till just incorporated. Do not overmix. Add the icecream and make sure there are no lumps. Pour the batter into a greased muffin tin almost to the brim of the moulds. Bake at 175 C for 25 to 30 mins.

Cool for atleast 30 mins before removing. For the icing, combine all the ingredients till you get a just sweet spreadable paste. Add color if desired and pipe onto cupcakes.

9 comments:

  1. A nice boy pulling grandpa's hair? Hmm... :) Ha ha, just kidding. Happy birthday Arun! Don't worry, I'm sure the cupcakes tasted super and with more practice, you'll be an icing pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, well, you didn't know my grandpa ;)

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you do not mind me peeking in!This looks so good!Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all, Alette. I've never talked to a person from Norway before. I'm happy you dropped by. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a perrrrfect ending to a meal. Thanks. FIgtreeapps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by, Figtree- I must say, a food blog that features appetizers exclusively is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love virtual cakes!!!!!
    Interesting recipe, for sure, I hadn't ever heard of it! Well, a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Arun...loved reading your post. Felt like I was tugging Arun's hair...LOL. Love your style of writing too! Never heard of a recipe for cupcakes with ice-cream, but then there's so much to this foodie world that I don't know of! Gotta live & learn. BTW, I love the name Miakoda; has a lovely ring to it, & has been playing in my head all morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marta: Thanks :)

    Deeba: Thank you Deeba! I know what you mean about the foodie world- I've seen strange things in there ;)
    Miakoda is my adopted American Indian name, one that I mostly use online. It means 'the Power of the Moon' and is close to me. My given Indian name is also about the moon. So yeah, I'm all loony, I mean, luna :D

    ReplyDelete