Sunday, April 19, 2009

Unripe Mango Cake


Unripe Mangoes are quite popular here in India. They are used majorly for pickles. But they are also a common street food. For a few rupees, you'll get several long pieces of unripe mango coated beautifully with a mixture of salt and chilli powder. The flavors really work- the tanginess and the heat- it'll definitely leave you feeling satisfied as you wipe your eyes and nose.

The inspiration to make cake using them came from the simple fact that there were no other fruits in the refrigerator. I just thought 'Why not?'

Slightly crunchy in texture and with a hint of that tanginess that I love, this cake is quite delicious to bite into.



Unripe Mango Cake

1.5 cups Unripe mango, grated
1 cup flour
1 or 2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch baking soda
6 tbsp water

Beat the eggs and sugar till fluffy. Add the oil and the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a well greased baking tin and place some strands of the grated mango on the batter. Bake at 180 C for 35- 40 mins.

I haven't added any essence such as vanilla because I wanted the pure flavor of the mangoes, so its optional. I also felt that some frosting or icing would be a lovely soft touch that would have made it even better.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a couple of mango cake/bread recipes lately, but never one using un-ripe mangoes. I just love how tart and tangy they are, so I must try this soon :)
    Thanks for sharing the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Martha. I've seen many mango recipes as well and I've even tried a mango bread, but I do like this better, especially after its been in the fridge for a day. It just tastes so fresh :)

    ReplyDelete