Monday, April 13, 2009

Tang Yuan, from Rasa Malaysia


I've fallen in love...with sesame seeds. I've always liked them- no one would doubt that if they saw me down my Mom's idli podi(a powder to accompany idlis)in which sesame seeds are the main ingredient, but with my first taste of the sweet version, I heard heavenly music, saw bright stars and was swept off my feet.

It was a different type of love, the first time I stumbled upon Rasa Malaysia. Beautiful, elegant, fresh.....downright classy. A blog like a genteel lady. Today, after many weeks of trying to find the time to, I got around to trying her sesame seed dumplings- Tang Yuan- something I've never heard of before.

We have a similar version in India, but we steam them and the fillings are varied across the nation. This one I wanted to try. I must say- when I ground the roasted sesame seeds, the aroma that filled the room was just perfect.

There was only one problem- sticky rice flour. People here would go- what's that? As did my mom. So I had to make do with the stickiest rice I could find here and make my own flour. Since I have nothing to compare it to, I have no clue if what I've made is anything like what it should be. But I have a pretty good notion that its not right- it just didn't feel right. The flour was not working.....I'm gonna go to Malaysia to buy flour. Sure I will. Anyways, I'm waiting for Rasa Malaysia to clear up some doubts. So an update- the verdict, will follow soon.

I halved her recipe. Here it is-

Ingredients:

8 oz. glutinous rice (sticky rice) flour
180 ml water (3/4 cup water)
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons)

Ginger Syrup :

5 cups water (reduced to 4 cups after boiling)
1 cup sugar
4 oz. old ginger (skin peeled and then lightly pounded with the flat side of a cleaver)
1/2 teaspoon sweet osmanthus (optional)
2 screwpine leaves or pandan leaves (tie them into a knot, optional)

Head on over to Rasa Malaysia for the full recipe....its so worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Mia, I replied to your comment. I hope your experiment is successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rasa Malaysia! However, this is gonna have to wait until I get hold of the right ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete