Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mung Bean Sprout Patties


When I think 'bean sprouts', I think 'encapsulated health'. Seriously, I'm so in awe of them that when I eat them I imagine all sorts of vital nutrients bursting from them as they travel busily through my bloodstream. I almost expect my body to rise in mid-air and bulge muscles, bursting with health, just like Popeye with his spinach.

They're absolutely lovely raw. Sometimes I just run my hands through them and let them fall and they make this lovely crispy noise. I sound like Scrooge McDuck with a wad of bank notes and there's no doubt about it; sprouts make me feel rich.

I wish I did eat some everyday, but I tend to make a big batch and use them up in two or three days. Sometimes, I use them all up at once- in my sprouts patties.


The beautiful thing about using sprouts for this is that you don't need any binding agent like egg or flour for the patties to hold shape. The sprouts, when processed, end up with a natural stickiness that holds them together perfectly. But not for deep frying, no no (don't ask). That said, I sometimes do coat them with bread crumbs too.

Bean Sprout Patties
1.5 cups Bean sprouts
1 onion, chopped into bits
2 bread slices
1 handful any fresh herb (coriander/ parsley/ basil etc)
chilli powder
salt
pepper powder

1 egg beaten
bread crumbs

Cook the bean sprouts in a little salted water till they are done and the water is all gone. Cool and add to the food processor. Pulse for a few seconds. Toast the bread slices and chop them into small squares. Add to the sprouts, along with the salt, chilli,pepper powders and the chopped herbs. Grind till you get a smooth paste. Shape the mixture into balls, press flat and give them an egg wash. Coat with breadcrumbs and fry them in a pan with a sprinkle of oil.

This is just a very simple version and I usually add something different each time. Like any patty, you can go crazy with what you add into it, in terms of spice powders or veggies or meat.

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha "encapsulated health", I love it!! that's the same way I feel about all veg and flax seeds. The latter are addictive, I put them in everything now! These patties are seriously healthy Mia! I can see myself consuming unhealthy large quantities! good job!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way I can skip the egg and replace it with something else? Any suggestions?? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm sure there are many ways to substitute the egg. One that I know of is to make a liquidy paste of all purpose flour with water- it should be sticky enough to hold the breadcrumbs to the patty.

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete