Friday, April 17, 2009

Herb + Wheat + Soup + Soya Chunks + .....


Ok, what this really is, is a wheat herbed tart shell with soup soya chunk veggie filling. Which no person of sane mind would ever post as a title. Hence the equation.

But before I go into that, I must share this......today was so hot. The whole week has been so hot! I was actually lying on the floor with my dogs this morning trying to cool off. It was in the afternoon, when I was munching on something with a book in hand when this sudden noise made me look out the window.........and there, in spite of the sun shining down with all its might, there was a glorious rain!

We have a saying in Tamil, loosely translated it amounts to- When the sun shines and the rain falls (simultaneously), the crow and the fox get married.

Ok.

I have no clue what the deep wise hidden meaning of that is, or even if there is a deep wise hidden meaning. But I do know that the rain revived me a great deal....the magic of rain....


So much so that I got up and cooked dinner. I wanted something hot and filling. So I made a tart with a whole wheat flour shell full of herbs and a filling of veggies and soya chunks cooked in sweet corn soup. Sounds like I just threw some stuff together, doesnt it? But nope, I actually planned the entire thing.....and whoo! was it filling! Hot and tasty. The herbs in the shell were really present, and the soya chunks had soaked up a lot of flavor...I didnt want a heavy filling with milk and eggs and stuff, so the soup was just light enough and brought everything together nicely.....mmmmm, mmm, mmm.

Long Named Tart
Serves 2

Ingredients

Tart Shell:

3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 pinch salt
3 tbsp water
40 g butter
A handful of Chopped fresh mint and basil leaves

Filling:

10 Soya Chunks
1/2 cup Sweet Corn Soup
7 shallots, chopped into two
1 tbsp each of chopped carrot, green bell pepper, cabbage, cottage cheese
1 dried red chilli
1 small tomato, chopped
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil

Place the flour, salt and cold butter in a bowl and mix with your fingers. Add the water and the chopped herbs and incorporate into a ball. Do not over mix. Wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

In a pan, heat water and add the chunks and a pinch of salt. When the chunks are puffed up and cooked through, drain and squeeze out water lightly. In a separate pan, heat the oil. Add the dried red chilli and the shallots. After a min, add the vegetables. Cook for a few mins and the add the soup. Pour in some water to thin it out and add the soya chunks, preferably cut in half. Cook till the vegetables are almost tender and the filling is thick.

Roll out or rather gently press the tart dough into a flat circle to line a 6 inch pastry shell. Pour in the soup and veggie mix. Top with some chopped tomatoes and bits of cheese. Bake in an oven for 35 mins at 180 C.

2 comments:

  1. ooh, what a nifty idea to use mint in the crust, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Celine! I was frankly surprised that I could taste it too. Usually herbs just disappear when added to dough or batter of any kind. But then, mint is pretty strong in flavor :)

    ReplyDelete