Monday, April 20, 2009

Carrot Halwa


I know it varies a great deal from family to family, but within ours, relationships with our relatives are a roller coaster ride with more downs than ups. After awhile, a sort of indifference sets in, an emotional and sometimes physical distance that makes it comfortable to just go about life with the rare meeting....but in spite of it all; the distance, the misunderstandings, the history....there's an unbidden affection I feel when I see them, some invisible bond that makes me take a step toward them.

Perhaps it is the child in me, the one who loved them without thought once, untainted by expectations or knowledge of what 'should' or 'shouldn't' be.


My Aunt S is a tough cookie, feared in many counties for her sharp and fearless tongue. But she's quick to laugh too and really enjoys her own funny stories; laughing too heartily to even get the story out completely. In the past few years, she's started visiting us often, which I find nice :)

Today I told her I would come over, a rare event I plan to get around to increasing in frequency. Anyways, I felt like making something for her and since my dad, mom and I each bought bagfuls of carrots last week, I went with some carrot halwa. I love this gooey delicious dessert, and since its mostly carrots, it's as easy on the conscience as well as the tummy!

Carrot Halwa
Serves 2

Ingredients

1 cup grated carrot
1 3/4 cups milk
6 tbsp sugar
1 cardamom pod
1.5 tbsp ghee
4 cashew nuts

Split into two and fry the cashew nuts in a tiny bit of the ghee till they are light brown. Set aside.
Place the milk and carrots in a vessel and cook till all the milk evaporates. The add the sugar and cardamom pod and cook till the dessert thickens. Then add the ghee and the cashew nuts. Mix and cook for a minute and remove from the stove. Allow to cool a bit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment