Monday, March 16, 2009

Spicy Tomato Cake


This one is a gift, for Uncle N. To sorta appease him for my no-show at his house today. I'm sending the Spicy Tomato cake as my stand-in.

Uncle N is an old family friend. He and my father have a funny 'thing' of calling each other 'Sami', which in Tamil means God. They've been friends since childhood. I remember when we were in Kuwait, Uncle N drove me to drawing class once. Until then I'd never encountered anyone who drove so slowly on Kuwait's pristine roads. He was doing something like 20 to 25 kms/hr. And when a Kuwaiti overtook him too fast, he rolled down the window and shouted 'Pannikku Poranthavane!', which means "Born to a pig!" I was laughing so hard, ducking in the back seat. :D So anyway, he has diabetics and a heart problem, and I had to come up with something tasty to send him that didn't have sugar and was too rich. And I came up with this.

The cake tastes absolutely delicious, but it didn't really rise. It was a bit dense. Maybe because its eggless? Anyhow, I think I'll experiment with different water and baking powder levels the next time.

Spicy Tomato Cake

1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1.5 cups tomato paste
4 to 5 cloves garlic
1/2 inch piece ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 handful curry leaves
2 dried red chillies

(I made the tomato paste- I reduced home made tomato puree with vegetable stock and some salt to make it more flavorful.) Place the flour+salt+baking powder in a bowl. Add the tomato paste. Mince the garlic and ginger and fry it on a little oil. Add the curry leaves to the oil right at the end and stir. Add this to the flour mix. Finely chop the dried red chillies and add this to the dough along with the oil. Mix well with a spoon and pour into a greased cake or loaf tin. Bake for 40 mins at 180 C.

Like I said, I'll have to work on getting the proportions right to get the cake to rise better. I'll update this at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment