Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Simple Noodle Soup

Kung Fu Panda is one my all time unbeatable favorite movies of all time. I enjoy every frame of the movie, the story, the characters, the voices, and most of all the amazing message thats so true- that all it takes, is belief, and the Universe is open to you.

I've stored this movie on my computer and I go back to it almost every other day; a scene here, a scene there, just to laugh or feel or enjoy myself for a moment. And as I was watching it today, in the back of my mind I was chewing on what to make for dinner.....and Po lifted this steaming dish of noodle soup.......it really didn't take long for me to decide! Noodle Soup it would be!














I'm also a sucker for fancy names and techniques, when it comes to cooking. Ever since I googled Mirepoix, I've been wanting to make something with it. Mirepoix, as Wikipedia says, is a 2:1:1 combination of onion, carrots and celery, finely diced and cooked in butter to create a classic flavor base in French cooking. So I tried it out with this soup. Maybe because it was inspired by so many of the things that I love, this soup, that I scarcely added anything to, turned out so delicious; it was the only thing I needed for a good dinner.

Noodle Soup

1 100g packet of unflavored noodles
1 medium sized onion
carrot and celery, roughly half the amount of onion
2 tbsp butter
1 cube veg broth
100g firm cottage cheese (Indian Paneer)
1 inch green chilly
Salt to taste

Chop the onion, carrot and celery as finely as humanly possible. Heat the butter and add the mirepoix(la di da). Stir gently till they become soft. Add 3 to 4 cups of water, the veg broth cube and the salt. Cut the cottage cheese into bite sized cubes and add to the soup. Chop the green chilly finely and add it in as well. Allow the soup to reduce to roughly 3/4th its original volume. In a separate wok, cook the noodles in slightly salted water, drain and add to the soup. Or you can dish out the soup into individual bowls and then add the noodles into each. Garnish with coriander leaves or parsley.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post...my kids loved the film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deeba! The film really speaks to all ages, I think. That's rare :) You have a beautiful blog, by the way. The pictures of the strawberry yogurt panna cotta are a study in elegance, not to mention drool worthy!

    ReplyDelete