Thursday, March 12, 2009

Savory Vegetable Tart


I like one pot dishes. You just throw everything in together and wait for the outcome. I'm trying to think of a brilliant analogy about life and all that, but it eludes me. Anyway, today's menu had just one lip-smacking item on it- the mega savory tart.

I've always loved tarts- the sweet versions, that is. The crumbly pastry, the luscious cream, those divine fruits....It's been years since my sister and I went to Shimla together. I remember the trip only in bits and pieces. But one of those memories, complete with a photoshop glow and nostalgic tint around it, is of a bakery there where I got these amazing bite sized tarts. I inhaled them instantly and looked around in suprise. I remember my sister asking me where they were too.

So when I came upon recipes of savory tarts, I didn't really hesitate. And I'm glad I didn't. It was delicious and fulfilling. But is this going to be oft repeated?.....I don't think so. I think the next batch of tarts I make would be sweet, and the next and the next.....

Savory Vegetable tart

Tart Crust:
1.25 cups flour
80 gr cold butter
3 Tbsp cold water
A pinch of salt

Filling:
A handful each of every vegetable you have at home.
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Salt, to taste
Red chilli flakes, to taste

Instructions:
Mix in the butter with the flour and salt with the tips of your fingers or a fork. Add the water and bring the dough together till just mixed in. Pat into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 40 mins to an hour.

Meanwhile, cook the vegetables in broth, and salt, till tender. Roll out the tart dough into a thin circle and line the baking tin (9") with it. Add the cooked vegetables to the tart. Beat the eggs, milk, salt and chilli flakes together and pour into the tart. Bake for 30 to 40 mins at 180 C.


One thing I feel about tarts is that its definitely better to make a number of small individual tarts rather than one big one. The beautiful crust loses its place in the spotlight when the tart is big and you really cant bite into the dish, which is all the fun. So that's what I think- pies should be big, tarts should be small.

No comments:

Post a Comment