Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Eggless Moist Chocolate Cake

Whenever my aunt visits us, she never has my cake. She'll break off the tiniest bit humanly possible and pop it into her mouth to spare my feelings. She dislikes eggs, especially in baked stuff.

Eggs are not a frequent part of my diet either, so all in all, its high time I tried my hand at an eggless cake. Since I had a craving for chocolate today....I lifted this recipe straight out of Chowtimes. I reduced the quantities to two thirds however.

I'm pleasantly surprised. So eggless cake can be moist and tasty too. Great! The cake really hit the spot. It has a slightly chewy texture on top but thats ok, I liked that part too. With it, I had some musk melon-watermelon combo juice thats such a rage in my house. Seriously, I take hours over it- removing all those watermelon seeds and making the juice. I put in the refrigerator and within hours, a gallon is gone. I think people at home 'sample' some everytime they walk past the fridge.....I certainly do. Heh heh.

Eggless Moist Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
1.25 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
4 tsp cocoa powder
1.25 cups water
1.25 cups sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1.25 tbsp vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Mix all the dry ingredients except sugar together. Add the wet ingredients to the sugar and mix till it dissolves. Pour in the wet mix into the dry and mix till incorporated. The batter is slightly more watery than the conventional egg version. Pour into a greased pan and bake for 45 to 50 mins at 170 C.


Melon Juice

2 parts musk melon, peeled, cut into pieces
1 part watermelon, seeds removed, cut into pieces
sugar, to taste

You can water down this juice too, but add only a dash of water, since watermelon releases quite a bit of water on its own. The musk melon I use is the one with the soft breaking apart kind of sweet flesh and the cream colored net like peel. Its not honey dew or other stuff with the firm juicy flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment