Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chocolate Sable cookies



There are some truly inspirational food blogs out there- the kind that make you want to attack your screen in a frenzy of mindless craving. Tartlette pretty much inspires that kind of violence in me. So its fitting that my first entry be her recipe for Chocolate Sable cookies, that I tried out a couple of days ago.

The cookies were perfect- I loved the texture. But I might just a bit more sugar the next time I make them- my sweet tooth doesnt really appreciate subtlety! She actually made sandwiches out of them with cake filling- a combination that boggles my mind- I'll try it out soon!

This is her recipe, reproduced verbatim. The only difference I made was to add banana essence instead of the vanilla. Its something I appreciated two days after I made them- the flavor really came out nicely.
1 stick butter (113 grams) butter, at room temperature
¼ cup (50 grams) sugar
½ vanilla bean, seeded or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
2 egg yolks
1 ½ cups (190 grams) all purpose flour, minus 3 tablespoons
3 tablespoons (16gr) cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add vanilla, then the egg yolks, one at a time, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl in between each addition. Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt and beat until the dough just starts to come together. Add some heavy cream if the dough still looks very crumbly and dry.
Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it a little to a small disk and wrap it well in plastic wrap. Refrigerate two hours before using.Lightly flour your work area well and start rolling the dough from the center out, lifting it from the work area every 2-3 times you roll over it. With a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out 48 rounds in the dough, gathering scraps and rerolling as you go (you might need to refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes if it becomes too soft to roll out easily).
Place the cookies on 2 parchment lined baking sheets and refrigerate 20 minutes. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment