Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beet Cake

The beets have begun to haunt us. I had disturbing dreams last night and I'm not completely sure, but I think there were red-tinted people in it. Anyways, I managed to do away with one big beety fellow. I grated him to oblivion, or rather, to the cake tin.

The aroma floated through the house in almost cartoon like fashion, bringing everyone to the kitchen. The cake was absolutely delish!

The batter was so gorgeous, I wanted to eat it all. What color! I anticipated losing all the color once the cake was done but it is sorta reddish, especially on the inside. Yum Yum.

Beet Cake

1.5 cups grated beets
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 pinch cinnamon powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts (walnuts, cashews)

Beat eggs till frothy and add sugar. Beat well, till the batter is thick. Add oil and the extract. Then add the sifted flour+baking powder+salt+cinnamon powder. Mix till just incorporated. Fold in the grated beets and chopped nuts. Bake for 35 mins at 180 C.

I'd recommend doubling the recipe for one big cake or two nice layers that can be frosted together. Cream cheese frosting works well with this cake- a natural way to color it would be to swish some chopped cubes of beet in the beaten cheese till you get the rich color. Remove the beets once you're done. Alternatively, you could just add a dollop of beet puree.

4 comments:

  1. I love beets. Not so much because of their flavour, but because of their colour. They just make me feel luxurious and showered in gems!! Whenever I bake with beets, I take a second to absorb the beauty of the batter's colour. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marta! :) I feel the same way about them. I love the fact that they're natural food colors too, the way they give that gorgeous magenta color to white icing or purees....Thank God we live in such a vibrantly colorful world!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh maaaaaaan ... you're right, nothing better than that beet color! I'd WEAR that color if I could find the exact shade! The cake looks delicious and the idea for the frosting is a really good one. Thks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Muneeba. I hope you do find a dress of that shade someday! :)

    ReplyDelete