Friday, March 13, 2009

Baked Spring Rolls

Hmmm, third recipe. But third time not so lucky. These baked spring rolls were not a raving success. The problem was with the spring roll wrappers.

Since I live in the woods, .....ok, I don't live in the woods, but I might as well. There's just so much stuff that you don't get in small town India. Spring roll wrappers are one of them. I had to make them myself and I did that yesterday and froze them. I don't think the recipe I used was exactly right. Combine that with the whole 'baking instead of frying' process and you get a sort of weird, brittle chewiness.

Which is a shame, because I took time with the filling and made it just right-
Grated carrots, finely chopped cabbage, green bell pepper and celery, lightly cooked with some salt and pepper. I also made matchsticks of firm cottage cheese (Indian Paneer) and lightly fried those. But I left them out because I didnt like thier contribution. I think I'll simple marinate them and add them to the filling the next time around. Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment